Hope to see you there!
Let’s give it up to Merlin Chatwin, our new GeoGrads Co-President!
Thanks to everyone who participated in the election process.
Our committees will be needing new members, check this website for an exclusive list of those. We will be organizing a second set of elections coming up for those positions.
Know someone in Geograds who could be a great candidate for our Co-President to work with Kate this year? It’s anonymous, so nominate him or her…. even if that may be yourself!
Click here! (deadline: Apr 18th 4pm)
The American Association of Geographers (AAG) 2017 Annual Meeting is just around the corner. Have you started booking your accommodation and travel plans yet?
Polish your presentation slides and posters, and connect with fellow geographers!
Venue: The Hynes Convention Center, Marriott Copley Place and the Sheraton Boston
Date: April 5-9th, 2017
More information can be found on their website here.
All good things must end…Danny is poised to join the ranks of honored past presidents such as Sarah Mason, Chad Walker, Sarah Pierce and the great Steve Fitzpatrick.
However, now a new GeoGrad has the opportunity to join such impressive ranks.
Is there a GeoGrad you feel would make a good co-president?
Any GeoGrad can nominate any other GeoGrad
All nominations must be accepted by the individuals.
NOMINATIONS CLOSE NOVEMBER 17th
ELECTIONS WILL BE HELD ONLINE FROM NOVEMBER 23rd to 27th
New Co-President will be announced at the December 1st GeoGrad General Meeting.
The new Co-President will serve from January 2016 to December 2016.
Please email Danny (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Meghan (email@example.com) with your nominations by the November 17th deadline.
A few take aways from the Research Committee Workshop about Comps and Proposal Milestones held on Friday October 30 at 3pm:
We also wanted to let everyone know that what is most important for comps is to put yourself in the answers. Often students focus too much on summarizing and not enough on the critical appraisal or positioning yourself in the literature.
Also, pay attention to the word count for each question and answer.
A few other resources for you:
Thanks to everyone who could make it, which was almost all of the first and second year PhDers!
Special thanks to Sarah, Danny, Wes and Lori for your invaluable contributions. Please email us for resources, coffee conversations or requests for another workshop!
If you have any questions about workshops, please contact – Siera Vercillo
Next workshop: Publishing on November 27
2015 UWO GRADUATE FELLOWSHIPS & SCHOLARSHIPS – A powerpoint presentation for you
A few take aways from the Research Committee Workshop about Scholarships held on Friday September 25 at 3pm:
- The Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Competition ($17,500) Deadline: October 30, 2015 to Peter Ashmore
- CIHR Doctoral Awards ($30,000/year +$5000/year for research) Deadline: September 28, 2015
- NSERC Doctoral and Post Grad Doctoral ($35,000/year or $21,000/year) Deadline: October 5, 2015 to Peter Ashmore and Final October 19, 2015 to Lori
- SSHRC Doctoral Awards (35,000/year or 20,000/year) Deadline: October 13, 2015 to Peter Ashmore and Final October 26, 2015 to Lori
- OGS and Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarships (15,000) Deadline: December 11, 2015 to Peter Ashmore and January 26, 2016 to Lori
- Masters/undergraduates CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC – November 6, 2015 to Peter Ashmore Due November 30, 2015 to Lori
- Others: Trillium (Doctoral International); Trudeau; Vanier; Richard J. Schemeelk; W.L. Mackenzie King Memorial; Michael Smith CGS Foreign Study Supplements
Scholarship List – a compiled list for you with more details.
*Note* Dates may differ, please contact Lori for confirmation and the powerpoint presentation above is most accurate.
What you typically need:
– Up to date transcripts
– 1-2 page personal statement / proposal – use key words; send to Peter Ashmore for Department feedback
– 2 academic references (minimum) – start now! Speak to professors who have given you top grades; send them your CV and research statement
– CV or CCV – academic resume or online file – give yourself at least a few weeks to do this
Need more information about this? Want to let us know how the workshop went? Send Siera Vercillo an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Next workshop: October 30 Comprehensive Exams, Proposal and other Milestones
Our calendar for the year is complete.
Things can change from time to time, or events may be added, so check back regularly for new versions.
Download PDF – 2015-2016 GeoGrad Calendar
Download Excel – 2015-2016 GeoGrad Calendar
Hi Grads, two weeks until classes begin.
Before that happens, the society of graduate students in the geography department (GeoGrads) and the Department have a few plans.
The Orientation 2016 Schedule is up now, for incoming students, things get started on September 7th (see link).
The full schedule of events for all GeoGrads will be posted at the end of this week.
As an early primer, enjoy this wonderful organizational chart of the GeoGrads (also see ‘About us’).